The 9th Annual
Nov 7 at Civic Theatre, Tallaght
Nov 8 at Smock Alley Boys School, Temple Bar, Dublin
We are now pleased to invite submissions of new plays for the 2020 NEWvember Dublin festival:
Click here for more information on the Festival
CRITERIA FOR SUBMISSIONS
- submitted plays should be previously unproduced (we will consider plays that have had readings before but are still in development)
- plays should have a cast size of 2-8
- plays should have a running time of 30 to 120 minutes
- we will only accept one submission per writer each year
- we are interested in plays from playwrights based in Ireland, and Irish playwrights around the world
- we ask that the writers of the chosen plays attend the reading of their play towards its further development and to be present for a post-reading Q&A with the audience
- there is no fee for submissions
- while we are open to all styles and subjects, we do have a preference for narrative and character-driven stories. Plays will be selected based on their originality, range, production potential, narrative quality and emotional resonance PROCESS OF SUBMISSION:
- your play as a PDF (without the writer’s name, email or other identifying marks on any page throughout the script – to aid our blind reading process). The script should include a character list. Please ensure the file name of your play matches the name of the play e.g. theweir.pdf
- The window for submissions opens Monday March 16th 2020.
- The closing date for submissions is Sunday April 26 2020 (12 midnight GMT).
You will be asked to include:
Within the form, you will be asked to include your name, play title and contact details (location, email and phone), which will be kept in a database unseen by the reading panel.
Please note that these criteria will be applied strictly and any submissions made after the closing date or not following the submission guidelines will not be considered. In addition, our festival’s reading panel will not be able to provide feedback on specific plays or on the status of your application.
The writers of the plays that have been shortlisted will be contacted in September and will be asked to send any updated version of their play, as this will be the final version considered and the version read at the festival if chosen.
The invited plays will be announced in October.
CASTING: Please note – the chosen plays will be read by an ensemble of actors, each performing roles in multiple plays in the festival. While we will endeavor to provide the best match of cast for each play that is read, in terms of characters’ listed ages/ethnicities, we also need to form an ensemble to best cover the entire range of the festival’s program. We appreciate our playwrights’ understanding of our ensemble-based casting.